Friday, September 28, 2012

Cucumbers

Getting sick. It happens. No one likes it, but it happens. Just take my advise. If you're studying abroad in Russia, don't get sick. ...or at least try to hide it until you just need medical attention.

Tuesday night, I felt bad. I was very tired the entire day, felt ill, and needed some serious sleep. Hot Stuff gave me some vitamin overload stuff so that I could make it home in one piece and when I made it home, I went straight to bed.

Wednesday was my day off of school. Since I didn't feel very well, I slept in. I got up long enough to check my email and get of Skype, but due to how bad I felt, I went back to bed. I was woken up later by a woman I had never met, telling me how worried my host mother was. Not once had my host mother come to check on me, but she had instead waited all day and then called someone over to check on me for her. At that point, I had a fever, migraine, I was light headed, my sinuses hated me, my throat was dry, I felt nauseous. I wanted to crawl back into bed and wait patiently for death. So after having to get out of bed to talk to three different people on the phone and convincing everyone I didn't need an ambulance, they let me.

Yesterday I felt better. My fever had broke and my sinuses had decided to leave me alone, but I still felt awful. I had some sort of eggy, oat-filled broth soup thing and went back to bed. I got up long enough to check my e-mail and go to bed. I found out from Hot Stuff that a doctor was coming. It was 3 pm and no one had bothered to tell me anything.

I took my sick and exhausted self back to bed, only to be woken up by the same woman from the night before and another woman who turned out to be the doctor. Everything the doctor said was translated by the other woman, and everything was done in lamplight. The doctor asked to see my tongue. I opened my mouth, she kind of glanced at it, and said I was fine. She asked to see my stomach. I showed it to her and she began awkwardly pushing and moving her hands trying to find where it hurt the worst. At first, she thought I was pregnant. I'm not. I know I'm not. Other people know I'm not. Still, I could understand her concern. The first time she asked.

Once she figured out the exact location of my pain and finally asked my other symptoms, she declared my trouble was caused be one thing.

Cucumbers.

If I had had the energy, I would have laughed, face palmed, or both. This lady was going to put me on medication and a strict, high-carb diet over cucumbers. That diagnosis to me means that this doctor had no idea what she was talking about.

I woke up today feeling so much better. I still feel a little nauseous and I could totally go for a gallon of water right now, but considering how I felt yesterday, I feel fantastic. Still haven't received any medication. Have had to put up with the diet though. It sucks. First chance I get, I'm going on a veggie eating spree, because I don't see me getting fed any of those at home in the near future.

This post is rather lengthy, so I will end it here. But seriously, take my advise and don't have a doctor come see you in Russia. Unless the illness is staring them in the face, they have no idea what's going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment